Some great Dog quotes and sayings people have made about Dogs
- Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog’s face he gets mad at you? But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window!
- My neighbor has two dogs. One of them says to the other, “Woof!” The other replies, “Moo!” The dog is perplexed. “Moo? Why did you say, “Moo’?” The other dog says, “I’m trying to learn a foreign language.”
- Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain’t the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
- There are three faithful friends–an old wife, an old dog and ready money.
- The other day I saw two dogs walk over to a parking meter. One of them says to the other, “How do you like that? Pay toilets!”
- They say the dog is man’s best friend. I don’t believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?
- I went to an exclusive kennel club. It was very exclusive. There was a sign out front: “No Dogs Allowed.”
- He that lieth down with dogs, shall rise up with fleas.
- If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- I have a great dog. She’s half Lab, half pit bull. A good combination. Sure, she might bite off my leg, but she’ll bring it back to me.
- Don’t make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans, or they’ll treat you like dogs.
- Money will buy a pretty good dog, but it won’t buy the wag of his tail.
- When you leave them in the morning, they stick their nose in the door crack and stand there like a portrait until you turn the key eight hours later.
- Every time I go near the stove, the dog howls …
- I’ve been on so many blind dates I should get a free dog.
- My advice to any diplomat who wants to have good press is to have two or three kids and a dog.
- Oh, that dog! Ever hear of a German shepherd that bites its nails? Barks with a lisp? You say, “Attack!” And he has one. All he does is piddle. He’s nothing but a fur-covered kidney that barks.
- They have dog food for constipated dogs. If your dog is constipated, why screw up a good thing? Stay indoors and let ’em bloat!
- I bought my grandmother a Seeing Eye dog. But he’s a little sadistic. He does impressions of cars screeching to a halt.
- I like driving around with my two dogs, especially on the freeways. I make them wear little hats so I can use the car-pool lanes.
- It was a small town: Ferguson, Ohio. When you entered there was a big sign and it said, “Welcome to Ferguson. Beware of the Dog.” The all-night drugstore closed at noon.
- A man bitten by a dog, whether the animal is mad or not, is apt to get mad himself.
(George D. Prentice 1802-1870 American Journalist & Humorist.)
- Keep running after a dog and he will never bite you.
(Francois Rabelais 1495-1583 French Humorist.)
- I am sir Oracle, and when I ope my lips, let no dog bark.
- About the only thing on a farm that has an easy time is the dog.
(Edgar Watson Houe 1853-1937 American Journalist)
- To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs.
(Aldous Huxley 1894 English Novelist)
- Man is a dogs ideal of what God should be.
(Holbrook Jackson 1874 English Journalist)
- The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs.
(Alphonse de Lamartine 1790-1869 French Poet)
- Revenge is often like biting a dog because the dog bit you.
(Austin O’Malley 1858-1932 American Oculist)
- Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends.
(Alexander Pope 1688-1744 English Poet)
- Man is an animal that makes bargains; no other animal does this–no dog exchanges bones with another.
(Adam Smith 1723-1790 Scottish Politician and Economist)
- When there is an old maid in the house, a watchdog is unnecessary.
(Honore de Balzac. 1799-1850 French Novelist)
- A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
- The dog that will follow everbody ain’t worth a curse.
- If dogs could talk, perhaps we’d find it just as hard to get along with them as we do people.
(Karel Capek 1890-1938 Czech Journalist)
- You never realize a dog is a man’s best friend until you start betting on horses.
- Dogs are lousy poker players. When the get a good hand they wag their tails.
- Dumb dog. I bought a dog whistle. He won’t use it.
- A guy wanted the vet to cut his dog’s tail off. The vet asked why. Well, my mother in law is visiting next month and I want to eliminate any possible indication that she is welcome.
- Ladies and gentlemen are permitted to have friends in the kennel but not in the kitchen.
(George Bernard Shaw 1856 British Dramatist)
- The more I see of men the more I like dogs.
(Madame de Stael 1766-1817 French social leader)
- Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- When a man’s dog turns against him it is time for a wife to pack her trunk and go home to mama.
- A reasonable amount of fleas is good for a dog; it keeps him from brooding over being a dog.
(Edward Noyes Westcott 1846-1898 American Banger & Novelist)
- The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.
- A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of.
- Both humans and dogs love to play well in adulthood, and individuals from both species occasionally display evidence of having a conscience.
(John Winokur, American Writer)
- Oh, what is the matter with poor Puggy-Wug? Pet him and kiss him and give him a hug. Run and fetch him a suitable drug. Wrap him up tenderly all in a rug. That is the way to cure Puggy-Wug.
(Winston Churchill, on his daughter Mary’s pet pug)
- I know that dogs are pack animals, but it is difficult to imagine a pack of standard poodles…and if there was such a thing as a pack of standard poodles, where would they rove to? Bloomingdale’s?
(Yvonne Clifford, American actress)
- The great pleasure of a dog is that you make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, he will make a fool of himself too.
- The pug is living proof that God has a sense of humor.
(Margot Kaufman, American writer)
- Outside of a dog, a man’s best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it is very dark.
- My little dog — a heartbeat at my feet.
- She had no particular breed in mind, no unusual requirements. Except the special sense of mutual recognition that tells dog and human they have both come to the right place.
(Lloyd Alexander, American writer)
- The poor dog, in life the firmest friend, “The first to welcome, foremost to defend.”
(Lord Byron, an epitaph for his dog Boatswain)
- A good dog never dies he always stays he walks besides you on crisp autumn days when frost is on the fields and winter’s drawing near, his head is within our hand in his old way.
(Mary Carolyn Davies)
- Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.
(Harry S. Truman)
- God … sat down for a moment when the dog was finished in order to watch it… and to know that it was good, that nothing was lacking, that it could not have been made better.
(Rainer Maria Rilke)
- If a dog’s prayers were answered, bones would rain from the sky.
- A dog is like an eternal Peter Pan, a child who never grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved.
(Aaron Katcher, American Educator and Psychiatrist)
- She was such a beautiful and sweet creature… and so full of tricks.
- Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
(Corey Ford, American writer)
- What kind of life a dog… acquires, I have sometimes tried to imagine by kneeling or lying full length on the ground and looking up. The world then becomes strangely incomplete: one sees little but legs.
(E.V. Lucas, English writer)
- Fifth Avenue is too expensive for anyone but dogs.
(Mel Finkelstein, Daily News)
- My dog can bark like a Congressman, fetch like an aide, beg like a press secretary, and play dead like a receptionist when the phone rings.
(Gerold Solomon, US Congressman)
- Here, Gentlemen, a dog teaches us a lesson in humanity.
- They never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation.
(Jerome K. Jerome, English humorist)
- Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt and Astor together could have raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog.
(Ernest Thompson Seton, American writer and naturalist)
- Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.
(Mordecai Siegal, Contemporary Writer)
- Being patted is what it is all about.
- The Saluki… is a marvel of elegance.
- A naked dog for a naked lady.
(Gypsy Rose Lee)
- Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.
- My hounds are bred out of the Spartan kind; So flew’d, so sanded; their heads are hung With ears that sweep away the morning dew…
(William Shakespeare, a MidsSummer Night’s Dream)
- Some dogs live for praise they look at you as if to say “Don’t throw balls… just throw bouquets.”
(Jhordis Anderson, American Painter)
- Sir, this is a unique dog. He does not live by tooth or fang. He respects the right of cats to be cats although he doesn’t admire them. He turns his steps rather than disturb an earnest caterpillar. His greatest fear is that someone will point out a rabbit and suggest that he chase it. This is a dog of peace and tranquility.
- Dogs are our link to paradise. They don’t know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring — it was peace.
- Why is it that my heart is so touched whenever I meet a dog lost in our noisy streets? Why do I feel such anguished pity when I see one of these creatures coming and going, sniffing everyone, frightened, despairing of even finding its master?
- They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell.
- In the late summer afternoon, when the teacups were cleared, and the family went inside… the dogs who are no longer under human command, find delight in the company of each other.
(Joe Dunnea, Irish Writer)
- The Airdale… an unrivaled mixture of brains, and clownish wit, the very ingredients one looks for in a spouse. (Chip Brown, Connoisseur Magazine)
- His name is not wild dog anymore, but the first friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.